Jacob Vanderslice is a Principal at VanWest Partners, a Denver-based real estate investment firm focusing on the acquisition and management of self-storage centers and other opportunistic real estate throughout the United States. VanWest has established a track record with over $195mm in real estate assets. Jacob and his partners’ success is driven by a commitment to delivering an expertly-executed, adaptable strategy with an institutional investment approach.
- Why Jacob focus on self-storage than any other asset-classes
- Diversification in real estate
- Investing in self-storage during a changing economy
- Why self-storage management is critical
- Value-add opportunities in self-storage
- Factors to consider in choosing a self-storage properties
- Debt and lending options for self-storage
- Self-storage investing advice
1. What was your biggest hurdle getting started in real estate investing, and how did you overcome it?
- Not knowing anything, making mistakes, and being under-capitalized. Overcame it over time by doing deals, learning about operations, execution, underwriting, and financing, and just learning by doing.
2. Do you have a personal habit that contributes to your success?
- Calendar blocking to focus on the important and less of the urgent.
3. Do you have an online resource that you find valuable?
4. What book would you recommend to the listeners and why?
- In the Kingdom of Ice book by Hampton Sides
5. If you’d go back and give advice to your 20-year-old self to get started investing in real estate, what would you tell?
- “Don’t sell anything.”
Visit Audible for a free trial and free audiobook download!