Terry Painter is a real estate investor, a member of The Forbes Real Estate Council and is a contributing writer for Forbes Online Magazine, founder of Business Loan Store, and Apartment Loan Store, a company that offers a full line of apartment and multifamily loan options, and a creator of mortgage banking firm specializing in commercial lending in all 50 states since 1997. He has been a top producer for Lasalle Bank and Lehman Brothers.
He is the author of “The Encyclopedia of Commercial Real Estate Advice” published by John Wiley & Sons. He is also known for his exceptional investment consultations and stratagems. For 18 years, he has spoken nationally to commercial real estate investor groups and real estate professionals about commercial real estate investing and lending. For over 20 years, he has built strong correspondent relationships representing Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA/HUD, Life Companies, Wall Street conduits, Hedge Funds, Regional, and National Banks.
- Property valuation
- Commercial real estate lending
- Commercial versus residential real estate investing
- Best return-driven investment in multifamily space
- Value-add real estate
- The risk of buying property based on a pro forma versus actuals
- Transitioning to the world of commercial real estate
- Common mistakes in commercial real estate investing
- Terry’s investing outlook in 2021
1. What was your biggest hurdle getting started in real estate investing, and how did you overcome it?
- Trying to figure out what properties to buy that earn interest, and so find a mentor to help with it.
2. Do you have a personal habit that contributes to your success?
- Eliminate distractions by not answering the phone, checking on emails, and social media all the time.
3. Do you have an online resource that you find valuable?
4. What book would you recommend to the listeners and why?
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People book by Stephen Covey
5. If you were to give advice to your 20-year-old self to get started in real estate investing, what would it be?
- Buy properties at a young age!
Visit Audible for a free trial and free audiobook download!