Dave Zook is a successful business owner and experienced real estate investor active in the multi-family space and resort community development. He has real estate holdings in several states and several countries.
Dave has purchased over $60 Million worth of real estate since 2009 and has over 2300 Multi-Family Apartments in his portfolio.
Dave, along with his development partners, is actively involved in the early stage planning and development of the largest real estate development on the Island of Ambergris Caye, Belize, which has been rated “The #1 Island in the World” two years in a row (2013-2014) by Trip Advisor.
He is a published author and has been a guest speaker at the International Business Conference, The Jason Hartman Real Estate Mastermind, and on the Real Estate Guys Radio Show.
Dave, his Wife Susan, and their four children live in Lancaster County, PA.
1. What was your biggest hurdle getting started in real estate investing, and how did you overcome it?
No experience in real estate, with no reputation as a real estate professional. The psychology and self-limiting beliefs. Dave was able to overcome those things with great partners.
2. If you were starting over with no education or capital, how would you start investing in real estate?
Get around the right people.
3. Do you have a personal habit that contributes to your success?
Discipline to not chase the shiny objects and stay focused on his goal. Dave says “Sometimes you have to say no to the good to say yes to the great.”
4. Do you have an online resource that you find valuable?
Real estate podcasts.
5. What book would you recommend to the listeners and why?
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Dave got started in multifamily investing from the need to diversify from his seasonal sales and marketing company and the need for a tax protection vehicle.
- Getting around the right people. The team is more important than the asset.
- ATM machines – tax free income.
- Overcoming $200,000 on your first deal.
Dave’s Reasons Why
Dave strives to provide value to the people in his network, by providing opportunities to invest in cash flowing residential properties. He loves doing deals, and is an investor at heart. As long as he can create value to his investors and have fun by adding value to his community by giving them access to deals they normally wouldn’t have.
Visit Audible for a free trail, and a free audio book download.