In life you are faced with an almost unlimited number of options. In fact, some studies suggest that the average person makes up to 35,000 decision every single day. Most of these decisions are menial – what color shirt will you wear for the day, what social media app will you open on your phone, will you make coffee at home or pick it up at your local coffee shop, etc. Very few decisions you make are big picture questions, for example – what am I doing today that puts me closer to my long term goals, how do I want to spend my time in my 30’s, 40’s, or 50’s, what am I doing now that brings me gratification, etc. We tend to just go through the motions making the small easy decisions, while avoiding the harder questions and decisions.
Anything worth pursuing in life comes with challenges. Starting that side hustle, learning that new skill, travelling to that new place, saving for that investment opportunity, or anything else you want comes with challenges. These things require your time, dedication, and mental toughness. These are the things that won’t simply just fall in your lap. You have to work for them. You have to want them enough. You have to make them happen.
Simply saying you want to achieve something isn’t enough. You have to do things today that will put you in position to achieve those goals tomorrow. If you don’t wan’t that thing enough, then the challenges and hurdles to get there may prevent you from making that big decision to pursue it.
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty. I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
When you’ve made the decision to pursue something challenging, take on that endeavor with the mentality that you are going to make it happen by doing whatever it takes. If you stick with that mindset and don’t quit, then you will most assuredly achieve that goal. Understand that you can achieve any goal that you set your mind to. You just have to make the decision, stick with it, and make it happen.
Here are 5 steps to achieving any goal:
- Start with your mindset. Understand why you want to achieve your goal. Use emotionally based reasoning here. Describe to yourself how you will feel if you do or don’t achieve the goal. Identify how you will feel if you don’t give it your best effort. This emotionally based reasoning will resonate with you and give you the motivation you need to achieve your goals.
- Decide that you are going to make it happen by doing whatever it takes. Commit to yourself that you will stop at no barrier. You will find a way to make it work.
- Write your goals down. One of the best ways I’ve found to make something happen starts with writing it down every single day. When you do this, you are keeping that fresh in your mind and reminding yourself of it daily. There’s significant research and psychological studies around this topic, if you want to learn more about it. I can speak from personal experience that writing down your goals every day does impact your mindset. If that goal is fresh in your mind every day, your mind begins to find ways to make it happen.
- Take action. This is where the rubber meets the road. You’ve laid the foundation with your mindset and you’re prepared to take action. Do something every single day that puts you one step closer to your goal. Chances are it will be a long journey, and you are in this for the long haul.
- Lastly, don’t give up. If you have built a strong mindset anchored by your reasons why and coupled that mindset with action, then you have a recipe for achieving any goal you set your mind to, so long as you never give up. This is where you make things happen. You will run into unexpected challenges. You have to find a way to make it happen.
Limiting beliefs are the biggest killer of dreams and goals. Limiting beliefs are the negative thoughts that creep in your mind and make you doubt yourself. These are just excuses though. Don’t let these limiting beliefs affect your decisions. This is easier said than done. Limiting beliefs will come from your conscious, from your environment, and from other people. Avoid these like the plague.
Remember that anything you set your mind to is possible. You are capable of achieving your wildest dreams if you set your mind to it, and make it happen. So what are you going to make happen?