We live in a world of instant gratification filled with luxuries and modern amenities. This is a social norm for most of us. We have the world at our fingertips. With a few correctly positioned touches on your phone, a pizza shows up at your door, or a car ready to take you anywhere you want, or almost anything you can imagine will show up in your mailbox or doorstep two days later.
It seems that every where you look, people are flaunting wealth, success, and happiness on social media. They claim to have figured out the key to success with the latest crypto currency craze, or built a drop-ship business in just a few hours, or have unlocked the algorithm to endless online sells via their sales funnel. These online marketers are willing to show you how you too can achieve overnight success like they did by buying their course, or enrolling in their coaching program. Truth be told, that drop-ship business, or crypto currency probably isn’t they way they are making money. Rather, it’s from people paying them for these programs, courses, and memberships.
There’s just one catch. Things worth having and building don’t come easy. There isn’t such a thing as an overnight success. Success, rather is the culmination or lots of hard work, determination, and perseverance. No one can sell you these things.
In a world of instant gratification, we have to remind ourselves that success isn’t instant. Sure, there are some people who win the lottery or inherit empires, but that’s not you or I.
Not everything can be expected so quickly and easily. Take for example building a business, starting and building a career, raising a family, or anything else that requires blood, sweat, and tears. These things don’t happen overnight.
Next time you discover a new songwriter, singer, sports athlete, entrepreneur, business owner, or anyone else to burst onto the scene “overnight”, I encourage you to look into that person’s past. Chances are, that person isn’t an overnight success, who just fell into some lucky deal. They more than likely have been after it for quite some time putting in work and tons of effort to get where they were. You just only noticed now.
It takes a lot of days and nights to become an overnight success. Here are 5 things you can do every day to position yourself for success down the road.
- Read every single day. Reading is like fuel for your mind. It exercises your brain, while taking in what could be valuable information (depending on what you’re reading). Set aside 10 minutes every morning to read. Keep your book by your nightstand and every night before bed read a few pages, rather than surfing social media, watching TV, or staring at the ceiling.
- Write down goals every day. The act of writing down your goals has been proven is many scholarly studies to increase your chances of achieving those goals. It keeps the goal at the forefront of your mind. Once you have that big goal, break it into monthly, weekly, and even daily steps to achieve.
- Listen to podcasts. You’re already doing this so great for you! Running, commuting, and working out are great times plug in some headphones and catch up on your favorite podcasts.
- Do something, no matter how big or small, every day. Consistent action turns into habits. These habits will generate long term results far beyond your imagination.
- Replace bad habits with good ones. By eliminating a bad habit, you’re shedding dead weight. By replacing it with a good habit, you’re just adding fuel to your fire to become an unstoppable machine! For example, you could cut back on your use of social media, and replace it with said podcast/book/reviewing your goals.
People make the mistake of waiting to launch their business, act on that million dollar idea, travel to that bucket list place. Don’t wait until “someday” to get started. That day will never come. If you wait until the time is right, you’ll never get started. Take action today. Make success a habit. One day, someone will look at you and call you an overnight success. You can chuckle and reflect on all those years of hard work and dedication you put in. So here’s to you becoming an overnight success, one day at a time.